Saturday, May 16, 2009

Saving Face


When I was 19 I made a conscious decision that I was going to stop the perpetual annual sunbathing routine. I have fair skin but it does eventually tan if I start slowly with sunscreen. Even at 19 I could see the sun damage that was happening to my skin. I said to myself, self is looking good being tan for a few weeks in the summer worth the long term effects on my skin? The answer of course was NO. Luckily with a good skincare regimen and youth I had no long term aging effects on my skin back then.

About 80-90% of visible aging to the skin is caused by ultravoilet rays. I think most of you are aware of the skin cancer risk with over exposure to the sun so I won't beat a dead horse on that subject.

Here are a few tips to protect yourself from any future damage and help repair what has already been done:

1) Avoid mid-day sun, enjoy the early morning and late day fun instead.
2.) When outside wear high SPF/UV sunscreen and clothing, a hat and sunglasses. "Don't forget to protect your hands daily since they are most exposed to the sun and generally show the aging effects on your body first".
3.) Choose a chemical free sunscreen. The chemicals themselves can cause skin damage so read the labels. I recommend - "JASON Naturals Sunbrellas Sun Block".
4.) Exfoliate the skin! You want to repair the damage already done by stimulating the skin to heal itself.
5.) Nourish your skin on the inside by maintaining a healthy diet rich in green leafy vegetables and blueberries. Omega, flax and hempseed oil are also a great addition to your diet to keep skin healthy.

I love this quote by Jennifer Lopez, who has great skin btw!

Beauty is only skin deep. I think what's really important is finding a balance of mind, body and spirit. Somebody said to me not too long ago, 'Until you're twenty, you have the face you are born with, and after that you have the face you deserve', and I really loved that - the idea that you wear who you are on your face.”

image found- ivylynn.com, references ehow.com

No comments:

Post a Comment